Internships: What Every College Student Should Know
Employers seek individuals with not only a degree, but experience. More than half (58% or more) of employers are likely to hire interns for permanent positions.
What is an Internship?
Internships are experiential learning opportunities that allow you to get hands-on experience in your field of study. Some internships may be paid while others may be non-paid depending upon industry trends. You may also complete the internship for credit or non-credit.
Why should I participate in an internship?
- Gain valuable real-world experience in your field of study
- What you learn in class becomes more relevant
- Work on projects and with equipment not available on campus
- Establish contacts with employers and begin networking for future jobs
- Make informed decisions about job compatibility
- Become marketable to employers
How to Get the Most Out of Your Internship
- Produce timely, quality work and apply critical thinking skills. Every day of your internship is a job interview.
- Seek out challenges and demonstrate a desire to learn and develop. Ask thoughtful questions and use learning objectives as your guide.
- Build your resume, portfolio, and/or curriculum vitae, as well as collect letters of reference.
- Network and make new connections in the industry for future job-seeking opportunities.
- Most employers (58% or more) are more likely to hire interns for permanent positions. Be respectful, courteous, and make a positive impression.
Don't wait. Get noticed. Apply for an internship.
Are you a student seeking an internship experience?
Carve out time to participate in an internship to position yourself as a quality candidate to employers. You'll thank yourself later.
To learn more about our internship support at GCC and to discuss internship opportunities, please use the Cranium Scheduler and select 'Lindsay Walker' and 'Internship' as the appointment type or email Lindsay at email@example.com
If you are an employer interested in posting an internship, please visit our Employer Website.