Glendale Community College
Throughout 2013, pages on this site will be moved to our new website.
If you can't find the information you need: Please call (623) 845-3333 for help with enrollment,
or email to report web site issues.
Locations | Class Schedule | Library | A-Z Index | Contact |
My.Maricopa.Edu Apply, register for classes, grades, transcripts & more!

Enrollment Information

Student Grievance for Academic Process

A student who feels that he or she has been treated unfairly or unjustly by a faculty member with regard to an academic process such as grading, testing, or assignments, has the right to appeal according to the approved procedures.

The appeal process for grades expires one year from the date the grade was issued.

Steps for students to follow:

  • Discuss the issue with the faculty member involved. This conference should be requested by the student within fifteen working days from the time the student knew or reasonably should have known about the unfair or unjust treatment.

  • If, within ten working days of the request for the conference with the faculty member, the problem is not resolved or the faculty member has been unable to meet with the student, the student may continue the process by filing a written complaint with the Department/Division Chairperson and appropriate administrative officer at the college/ center. This written complaint must be filed within ten working days following the previous deadline. The written complaint will be given to the faculty member five days before any official meetings are convened.

  • Upon receipt of a written complaint, the Department/Division Chair or appropriate college administrative officer will work with the parties in an attempt to resolve the conflict. The faculty member may ask that the College Faculty Senate President be in attendance. Every attempt will be made to maintain confidentiality during this process.

    A faculty member will not be required to respond to a complaint which is not in writing and which, when appropriate, did not have specific documentation including dates, times, materials, etc. The written complaint will be made available to the faculty member.

  • If the grievance is not resolved at this level within ten working days, the student should forward to the Dean of Instruction or appropriate college/center administrative officer, a copy of the original written complaint with an explanation regarding action taken at each prior level. The Dean of Instruction or appropriate college/center administrative officer will meet with the student, faculty member, the College Faculty Senate President if requested by the faculty member, and Department/Division Chair and attempt to resolve the issues. This level will be the final step in any grievance process regarding grades.

  • If the grievance, other than those concerning grades, is not resolved by the Dean of Instruction or the appropriate college/center administrative officer, it may be forwarded in writing by the student to the college President for final resolution. The college president or designee will expedite a timely examination of the issues and will issue a final written determination in the grievance process.

In this site:

Enrollment Services
(623) 845-3333

We welcome feedback.

Content revised 4/20/12