Glendale Community College
Throughout 2013, pages on this site will be moved to our new website.
If you can't find the information you need: Please call (623) 845-3333 for help with enrollment,
or email to report web site issues.
Locations | Class Schedule | Library | A-Z Index | Contact |
My.Maricopa.Edu Apply, register for classes, grades, transcripts & more!

Enrollment Information

General Guidelines Regarding AIDS

General Guidelines Concerning AIDS

Neither a diagnosis of AIDS nor a positive HIV antibody test will be part of the initial admission decision for those applying to attend any of the Maricopa Community Colleges. The Maricopa Community Colleges will not require screening of students for antibody to HIV.

Students with AIDS or a positive HIV antibody test will not be restricted from access to student unions, theaters, cafeterias, snack bars, gymnasiums, swimming pools, recreational facilities, restrooms, or other common areas, as there is not current medical justification for doing so.

Where academically and logistically feasible, students who have medical conditions, including AIDS, may seek accommodation in order to remain enrolled. Medical documentation will be needed to support requests for accommodation through the Office of Disabled Resources and Services or the Office of Vice President of Student Affairs.

The Maricopa Community Colleges acknowledge the importance of privacy considerations with regard to persons with AIDS. The number of people who are aware of the existence and/or identity of students who have AIDS or a positive HIV antibody test should be kept to a minimum. When a student confides in an faculty member, knowledge of the condition should be transmitted to the appropriate vice president or designee who will make the determination if the information should be further disseminated. It should be remembered that mere exposure to the person in a classroom does not constitute a need to know the diagnosis. It is, therefore, unnecessary to document in a student's file the fact that he or she has AIDS unless the information is to be used for accommodation reasons. Sharing confidential information without consent may create legal liability.

Students are encouraged to contact the Office of Disabled Resources and Services and/or the vice president of student affairs or designee for the types of services available in the district or community on matters regarding AIDS or the HIV virus.

In this site:

Enrollment Services
(623) 845-3333

We welcome feedback.

Content revised 11/8/07