If you need additional information about security policies and safety at Glendale Community College please contact the Director of Public Safety at 623.845.3536.
Click to expand/close desired FAQ's.
District policy: The Maricopa Community College District supports the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989, Public Law 101-226, and complies with all federal, state, and local laws pertaining to controlled substances, including alcohol. The possession, sale or consumption of an alcoholic beverage on any premises owned and/or leased/rented by the District for approved educational purposes is prohibited.
College response to alcohol and drug violations: Besides the sanctions imposed by federal and state courts concerning controlled substance violation(s), the college will respond administratively when the offense involves a student or employee as the offender. Students and employees are subject to applicable District policies and disciplinary procedures. Sanctions may include suspension or expulsion for student offenders or termination of employment for employees.
Alcohol and drug use prevention: GCC sponsors and/or participates in the following drug prevention activities:
- Counseling and Career Services provides individual sessions on the topic of substance abuse. In addition, counselors teach personal development classes including "Eliminating Self-defeating Behavior." When needed, counselors will provide referral services to community-based agencies. College counselors may be reached by calling 623.845.3064. Counseling and Career Services has a website at
- The Office of Student Life coordinates an annual Alcohol Awareness Week. Literature on alcohol, drugs, and related issues are distributed and made available in this office.
Campus community members who may have an alcohol or drug problem can consult with these local treatment facilities:
- Charter Hospital of Glendale
6015 W Peoria Ave
Glendale AZ 85302
- Community Information & Referral
7725 N 43rd Ave #522
Phoenix AZ 85051
- Saguaro Behavioral Health Center
8802 N 61st Ave #109
Glendale AZ 85302
- Samaritan Behavioral Health 24 Hour Crisis Line
5625 W Thunderbird Rd
Glendale AZ 85306
They can also receive assistance by calling:
- Al-Anon at 1.800.356.9996
- American Council on Alcoholism at 1.800.527.5344
- National Institute on Drug Abuse Hotline at 1.800.662.4357
- DRUGHELP at 1.800.378.4435
Weapons: The possession or use of a firearm on campus is strictly forbidden. The Maricopa Community College District Governing Board promulgated the weapons policy under ARS 13-2911 C. Anyone violating the policy is subject to arrest under ARS 13-2911 and/or subject to applicable college disciplinary procedures.
Smoking: Glendale Community College campuses (and all Maricopa Community College campuses) are 100% tobacco-free. Smoking and all forms of tobacco (including the use of “e-cigs”) are prohibited on campus property, including, but not limited to parking lots, rooftops, courtyards, plazas, entrance and exit ways, vehicles, sidewalks, common areas, grounds, athletic facilities, and libraries.
For more information see the Maricopa County Community College Online Policy Manual links below:
Children on campus: Children, younger than 18 years of age, may not attend a class unless they are officially registered for the class. Children that are not officially registered are not allowed on campus unless participating in an authorized college program or under the immediate supervision of an adult.
Public Safety often receives requests to deliver messages to students. In accordance with Glendale Community College procedures, Public Safety is authorized to make student notifications which are of an emergency or police nature only.
Public Safety personnel screen each request by asking relevant questions. Therefore, anyone making such a request is expected to provide some or all of the following information: student's social security number, full name, college program, and the reason for the need to notify.