- Deposit outgoing mail at the Post Office, or give it to your letter carrier.
- Shred or tear up unwanted documents that contain personal information before discarding them.
- Review your consumer credit reports annually. Consumer Credit Bureaus
- Never give personal information over the phone or Internet unless you initiated the contact.
- Be selective about who you give your email address to. Suggestion - use disposable accounts from Hotmail, Google's Gmail, or Yahoo! for example.
- Do not use your Social Security Number on your driver's license.
- Install software updates when prompted!
- Turn off credit card offers by calling 1-888-5-OPTOUT (567-8688).
- Enroll your phone(s) in the DO NOT CALL list at Turn off credit card offers by calling #= 1-888-5-OPTOUT (567-8688).
- Check out the Federal Consumer Protection webpage: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp.
- Learn about advertising regulations at the Mall -- with space zombies who are careful consumers at http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0262-stopping-unsolicited-mail-phone-calls-and-email.
- Visit the Federal Trade Commission's one-stop shop to Just Say No to unsolicited mail, telemarketing, and email -- http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt063.shtm.
Do you have a suggestion for a topics you would to be added to this page? Please let the Security Guy know.