How Do I Use My eGCC Webspace?
Here are the four simple steps to take to get your web page going (we're assuming you're starting this while on campus):
- On your H:\ drive, the personal space created for you on eGCC, there should already be a folder called "public.www", without the quotation marks. If not, please create one.
- Create a new HTML document in your HTML editor or in the Notepad application available with Windows.
- Save your file periodically as you work on it! To save your file, select "Save As..." from the File Menu and do the following:
- Select the "public.www" folder in the "Save in:" list to save your changes AND publish your site. Or, create a new folder that will store your HTML files as you work on them before you publish.
- Name your file "index.html", without the quotation marks
- Select HTML Document from the options in the "Save as Type" list. In Notepad, select "All Files" in the "Save as Type" list - if you don't do this, Notepad will save your document as a Text file (index.html.txt), which will result in your page to NOT be readable by web browsers.
- Click "Save".
- To publish your web page, make sure the file is in the public.www folder you created earlier. If you saved your file to another folder, copy and paste the file into the public.www folder. Remember, anything in the public.www folder is viewable by anyone visiting your website's hyperlink.
- Also, if you were looking at public.www under H:, it'd be located at H:\public.www
The URL, or web address, for your website will be:
Remember to replace "MEID username" with your MEID Username. Note that the address for your specific web site contains a tilde (~) located just before the MEIDusername.
In case you can't see your webpage, please visit to
our FAQ page.