Frequently Asked Questions About Paying for College

Frequently Asked Questions

Don't See The Answer to Your Financial Aid Question?

Get Answers: Call 1-855-622-2332 (toll-free)

 How do I apply for 
 Financial Aid?

  • First, you and your parent (if dependent) need to apply for an FSA ID.
  • Fill out a FAFSA form. You can submit your FAFSA between October 1 and June 30, but the earlier the better. Financial Aid is awarded on a first come, first served basis. Early applications have a better chance of receiving a maximum award.
  • Apply for Scholarships.
  • The Glendale Community College school code is 001076.
  • The address is 6000 W. Olive Avenue, Glendale, AZ 85302.

Is there a cost to apply for Financial Aid?

  • No

Who is eligible to receive financial aid?

To be considered for Federal financial aid, you must:

  • Be past the age of compulsory school attendance in Arizona (over 16 years of age) and not concurrently enrolled in high school, an elementary or secondary school program, or taking college credit to earn a high school diploma or GED.
  • Have a high school diploma or GED (effective July 1, 2013).
  • Be a U.S. citizen, national or eligible permanent resident of the United States.
  • Be enrolled or admitted to a degree or certificate program at GCC which is eligible for Federal Aid.
  • Not owe a repayment of a Federal Grant or be in default on a Federal Stafford Loan.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined by the Maricopa Community College District Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.
  • If you are male, you must register with Selective Services.

How do I order a tax transcript?

  • Tax transcripts can be ordered through the IRS website, by mail or by phone. You will need the tax filer's social security number, date of birth and the address exactly as printed on the 1040, 1040EZ or 1040A.

How long does it take to have my financial aid award determined?

  • Approximately three months. The processing of applications begins mid-spring and re-evaluated each semester based on enrollment.

How does the Financial Aid Office communicate and where can I find my financial aid award?

I sent my FAFSA to another Maricopa Community College, do I need to add Glendale Community College (GCC) to my FAFSA?

  • Yes. If you did not list GCC on your FAFSA, you must add GCC’s school code (001076) and submit it. GCC is unable to view or process eligibility without a valid FAFSA transaction on file. It will receive the information within 3-5 business days as long as you are officially admitted to the school.

What is my To Do List?

  • In your Student Center, off to the right, you will see a box entitled “To Do List.” This is where you will see any items required to complete your Financial Aid file; these items will keep your file from being awarded.
  • Please ensure all items are completed in a timely manner so as to not hinder completion of your file.

Why do I have duplicates items on my To Do List?

  • If you list multiple Maricopa Community Colleges on your FAFSA, each school will list To Do List items they will need to complete your file. Many times they will be duplicates because the same documentation is required at each school.

How do I complete Verification?

How long does it take to have my Financial Aid award determined?

  • General eligibility is determined through your complete FAFSA application, which is processed within 3-5 business days. However, once the FAFSA is received by the school, a determination can take a variable amount of time depending on each file due to any additional documentation required and time of year.

So I’ve been awarded, how does my money get sent to me?

  • If you have funds left over after all tuition, fees, and any other debts have been paid, monies are sent through Maricopa Student Refund Program (MSRP). MSRP gives students options regarding receipt of funds.

I’ve been awarded but it still shows I owe my tuition; what’s going on?

  • Aid is not disbursed until after your classes begin, your tuition, fees, and book advance (if eligible) will remain as a debt until after the Pell Recalculation date. (Please note for first-time loan borrowers, funds are held for 30 days after the start of the first day of school. Therefore your debt may remain in your Student Center until then).

What is FERPA?

  • FERPA stands for The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. It protects students’ personal and private information from being shared with unauthorized individuals. To learn more, please visit MCCCD’s FERPA website.

What is Level of Enrollment?

  • Level of enrollment is full time, three-quarter time, half-time or less than half-time. To determine your level of enrollment, see chart below:

    Level of Enrollment Number of Credits
    Full-time 12 or more
    Three-quarter time 9 to 11.99
    Half-time 6 to 8.99
    Less than half-time 5.99 or less

What is a Pell Recalculation Date? 

  • This is the date when your financial aid award is calculated, based on your eligible level of enrollment. If you drop classes after the Pell Recalculation date, you may be required to pay back financial aid money.

What is the difference between dropping a class and withdrawing from a class?

  • “Dropping a class” usually means you will receive a refund of tuition and the class does not show up on your Official/Unofficial Transcripts. “Withdrawing from a class” doesn’t usually create a refund, but will report on your Transcripts as a class that was attempted but not completed.

How will dropping/withdrawing from a class affect my financial aid?

How does repeating a class affect my financial aid?

  • A student may repeat a previously passed class once for an improved grade. Once a class is attempted (passed or withdrawn from) twice, the credit associated with another attempt of that class cannot be counted towards your enrollment level for federal financial aid purposes. All credits of repeated coursework are included in the Satisfactory Academic Progress calculation and this could affect your eligibility to continue to receive federal assistance.

Can I receive financial aid at more than one school?

  • No, you can only receive aid at one school at a time. However, in most instances, it is possible for a Maricopa Community College to fund enrollment for classes at another institution. To determine eligibility, a completed Consortium Agreement form must be submitted to the parent school by their deadline date.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

How do I obtain my Tuition Payment Statement (form 1098-T)?

  • You will receive a notice in your student email when your Tuition Payment Statement 1098-T is available.

How do I know what websites and applications are safe?

  • The Department of Education Website has a page dedicated to Avoiding Scams.








Building: Enrollment Center (EC)
Phone: 1-855-622-2332 (toll free)
Fax: (623) 845-3310
Hours of Operation


Mon. - Thurs. 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Fri. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.


Mon. - Wed. 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Thurs. 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.