Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). A report will be generated from the FAFSA you submitted. GCC and other colleges you have indicated on the application form will be sent the electronic data to assist in determining your need for the various types of financial aid available.
In order for GCC to receive this report, you MUST use the school code 001076 on the financial aid application.
There are three ways to file the FAFSA - online, by phone or by paper. To begin an initial FAFSA or a renewal application, please visit http://www.fafsa.gov. To complete your FAFSA online, you (and your parents if you are a dependent student), will need a PIN to electronically sign your FAFSA. Please visit http://www.pin.ed.gov to obtain a PIN.
The quickest way to process your FAFSA is online!
Completing the FAFSA
To effectively complete the FAFSA for 2012-13, you will need the following records:
- 2011 U.S. income tax return (IRS Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ). Students are highly encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- W-2 Forms and other records of money earned in 2011
- Current bank statements
- Business and Farm records
- Records of stocks, bonds and other investments
- To reduce processing delays, avoid these common
Tips for Unique Student Populations
- Tips for Wards of the Court, Foster Youth, Single Parents and More
- Tips for Adult Learners and Non Traditional Students
- Tips for Current and Former Military Members
Tips for Undocumented Students
What Information Is Required to Complete My Financial Aid File?
An acknowledgement report or Student Aid Report (SAR) will be sent directly to you from the Federal Student Aid Processor. The SAR must be reviewed for accuracy and if corrections are necessary or GCC is not listed, you will need to follow the instructions on the SAR to correct the information.
Other documents may be required to complete your application. Upon request, these documents should be submitted to the GCC Student Financial Aid Office and may include (but not limited to):
- Verification Form, if selected
- Citizenship verification
- IRS Tax Transcript (to order your transcript you will need your SSN, date of birth, street address and zip code exactly as filed on your taxes, please click here to go to the IRS website)
- High School Diploma or GED
- DD-214 (veteran status verification)
- Social Security Card
- Other income/asset verification
As we process your file, your "To Do List" located in your Student Center will list any additional documents or information needed. We strongly recommend you check your Student Center regularly. Please submit any documents listed or information requested to our office as soon as possible.
After all required forms or documents have been received and analyzed; we will determine your aid eligibility. Your financial aid award will be posted in your Student Center under the financial aid tab.