Glendale Community College
Throughout 2013, pages on this site will be moved to our new website.
If you can't find the information you need: Please call (623) 845-3333 for help with enrollment,
or email to report web site issues.
Locations | Class Schedule | Library | A-Z Index | Contact |
My.Maricopa.Edu Apply, register for classes, grades, transcripts & more!

Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions

This FAQ was designed to help you understand the financial aid application process. It is formatted in terms of questions and answers. You may use this form as a checklist to help you get through the process and to help answer questions you may have later down the road. Remember to read everything carefully!

What is Financial Aid? Financial aid is any form of financial assistance which helps you pay for college. This includes scholarships, grants, student loans, and work-study.

How do I apply for Financial Aid at GCC? You may file your application online using one of the computers in the Enrollment Center or use a personal computer by accessing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to list the Glendale Community College school code (001076) and address (6000 W. Olive Avenue, Glendale, AZ 85302). The federal processor will then send an electronic record of your application to the Financial Aid Office within four weeks.

What is the FAFSA? The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is a form that must be completed to apply for federal financial aid programs.

Is there a cost to apply? No. Completing the FAFSA is free. However, be aware of certain websites that charge a fee to complete the application for you. The authentic FAFSA website is:

When should I apply? A new FAFSA must be submitted for every new academic year. The academic year for the Maricopa Community colleges includes the fall, spring, and summer terms (consecutively). The FAFSA may be completed on or after January 1, for the upcoming academic year.

What is a Federal Student Aid PIN? Your PIN can be used each year electronically to access your Federal Student Aid records online. Your PIN is needed to electronically sign your FAFSA and Master Promissory Note (MPN). You can apply for a PIN, check the status of your PIN, request a duplicate PIN, change your PIN or update your personal information online at

What records will be needed to complete the FAFSA? Generally, you will need federal tax returns(IRS 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ). You may also want to have all W-2 forms and any other records of money earned in the tax year you are using to complete the FAFSA. This would include records of untaxed income such as welfare, social security, AFDC, ADC, or veteran's benefits. You may also need to use current bank statements, business or farm records and any records of stocks, bonds or other investments.

What is the GCC school code? 001076

Who is eligible to receive financial aid? To be considered for Federal financial aid, you must:

  • Be past the age for compulsory school attendance in Arizona (over 16 years of age) and not concurrently enrolled in high school, an elementary or secondary school program, or taking college credit to earn a high school diploma or GED
  • Have a high school diploma or GED (effective July 1, 2012)
  • Be a US citizen, national or eligible permanent resident of the US
  • Be enrolled or admitted to a degree or certificate program at GCC which is eligible for Federal aid
  • Not owe a repayment of a Federal Grant or be in default on a Federal Stafford Loan
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined by the Maricopa Community College District Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.
  • If you are male, you must register with Selective Services

How is eligibility determined? Based on the information provided on your FAFSA, the federal government will determine your family's expected family contribution (EFC). The difference between the cost of attendance budget and your EFC is your financial need. Most financial aid will be based on your financial need; however, some forms of gift aid, such as merit-based scholarships and unsubsidized federal loans are not dependent on financial need.

What factors determine expected family contribution (EFC)? Your EFC is determined using a formula developed by the Department of Education and designed to assess what a family can afford. Factors include the number of family members in the household, number in college, both taxed and untaxed income, and a percentage of total assets (not including home equity).

Are there other forms and/or documentation needed to complete the financial aid application process? Based on the information you provided on the FAFSA application, you may need to provide additional documentation. You will be notified through your Student Center if additional documentation and/or forms are needed and where the forms can be accessed.

How do I order a tax transcript? Tax transcripts can be ordered through the IRS website, by mail or by phone. You will need the tax filer's social security number, date of birth and the address exactly as printed on the 1040, 1040EZ or 1040A. Please visit the IRS Website for additional information on ordering your tax transcripts.

What is a financial aid award? Your financial aid award is prepared by the financial aid office and lists all the types and amounts of financial aid for which you are eligible. It may include grants, scholarships, work study, and loans. You need to carefully review your award and all instructions and information it contains.

How long does it take to have my financial aid award determined? After the student financial aid office has received all required documents, the evaluation of your application will begin. The amount of time this takes varies by application and time of year. As a rule, the closer to the beginning of the school year you apply, the longer it takes to process your file. If there are errors on your application, that will slow down the process. Approximately three months are required to complete the application process. Please note If you complete your file very early, the processing of applications will not begin until mid-spring.

Where can I find my financial aid award? After your file is reviewed, a financial aid award will be posted to your Student Center based on your eligibility, your enrollment level, and your response to the question regarding federal work study on the FAFSA.

What are student loans? Loans are funds borrowed which must be repaid. Repayment requirements vary based on the type of loan borrowed and when the loan was disbursed. For more information regarding student loans, please visit or GCC's Student Loan page.

What is Entrance Counseling? All students wishing to borrow student loan funds must complete an entrance counseling session prior to receiving loan funds. Entrance Counseling assists students in understanding their rights and responsibilities when borrowing federal student loans. A link to this process can be found within your award notification in your Student Center. Entrance counseling is completed using your PIN at

What is a Master Promissory Note (MPN)? This is a legally binding document that sets the terms of your student loans. By signing the MPN you are promising to repay your student loan debt regardless of whether you graduate or are satisfied with your education. The MPN can be signed using your PIN at

Why is there a 30 day delay of my student loan funds? Federal regulations require a thirty day delayed disbursement of federal loans unless you: have a prior Stafford Loan, OR have successfully completed the first thirty days of your program of study as determined by the school's Admissions and Records Office.

How will I pay for books? Students with eligibility will be advanced funds through the Book Advance process. Detailed information can be found at

How will my funds be paid? All awards, except work study, will be posted to your student account. Money above your school charges will be sent to you through the Maricopa Student Refund Program (MSRP). It is important to keep your address current with both the Admissions and Records Office (A&R) and the Student Financial Aid Office.

What is Maricopa Student Refund Program (MSRP)? The Maricopa Student Refund Program (MSRP) provides three options to receiving your financial aid and refunds. Please check your Student Center to verify your mailing address is current. Please visit the Cashier's website for additional information.

When will my funds be disbursed? Financial aid funds will be credited to your student account no earlier than seven days after the start of the standard term. Funds above your school charges will then be disbursed through the MSRP.

What is a "Census Date"? This is the date when your enrollment level is determined for federal financial aid purposes. Students awarded prior to the term will have their awards adjusted on this date. Those not yet awarded enrollment level will be based on actual enrollment on the date their award is determined.

Can I receive financial aid at more than one school? In most instances it is possible for one school to fund enrollment for classes at the other school. To determine eligibility, a completed Consortium Agreement form must be submitted to the parent school by their deadline date.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)? To receive Federal Financial Aid, students must achieve satisfactory progress toward completing their degree. This progress is measured by GPA and rate of completion. Please refer to the measurements outline in the Maricopa County Community College District Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

What is Federal Work Study (FWS)? These are federal funds paid to students for work completed. These jobs are normally related to the students program of study. For additional information regarding FWS, please visit GCC's FWS website.

How do I apply for Tribal funding? Most Tribes require a FAFSA be submitted to the Federal processor first. After which you need to contact your Tribal Office to obtain a Tribal application and information to apply for the scholarships.

How does repeating a class affect my financial aid? A student may repeat a previously passed class once for an improved grade. Once a class is passed twice the credit associated with another attempt of that class cannot be counted towards your enrollment level for federal financial aid purposes. All credits of repeated coursework are included in the SAP calculation. This could affect your eligibility to continue to receive federal assistance.

How will dropping a class affect my financial aid? There are many variables to consider when determining the effect of a dropped class on continued financial aid eligibility. It is best to consult the financial aid office. Please visit Financial Aid Withdrawal Policies and Procedures for more information.

Can I have my classes held until I receive my financial aid? Students whom have a complete financial aid file by the deferral deadline date for the term will have their tuition and fees deferred and class enrollment held until they are awarded. Students who are awarded prior to the term, will have their classes held for that term.

How do I obtain my 1098-T? Please visit, for information regarding obtaining your 1098-T.

Who should I contact if I have questions about financial aid? You may check your Student Center or contact the GCC Financial Aid Office whenever you have any questions about your financial aid and/or the application process. Please feel free to call (623) 845-3366.

In this site:

Financial Aid Office
1-855-622-2332 (toll free)

We welcome feedback.

Content revised 6/27/13