Women’s Leadership Group (WLG)
Professional Development Through Events, Mentoring and Networking
The mission of Glendale Community College's Women's Leadership Group (WLG) is to empower and inspire leadership growth through education, collaboration, and service. We achieve this mission by meeting regularly to learn from special speakers, engage in mentoring and networking opportunities, and execute initiatives to give back to the community. Membership is open to all GCC employees (men and women).
We welcome learning opportunities. From informal conversations to workshops, please reach out to our co-chairs to express your interest in presenting.
March 30, 2016 - GCC WLG Annual Leadership Conference
Details to come.
Dec. 2, WLG Tables at PSA's White Elephant and Craft Fair
WLG rented two tables at the PSA fundraiser (table rents benefit a no-kill animal rescue center), and raised $86.58 through a "name your price" on donated items. $20 was given to PSA to cover the cost of table rent. $66.58 will be used to offset costs of future WLG campus events. Thanks to all volunteers and those who donated items!
Dec. 9, 2015 GCC WLG Holiday Lunch
Bring your favorite dish to share and a $5 mystery gift (if you wish to participate in the gift exchange game). This event is free and open to all employees. Please join us.
Date: Wednesday, December 9, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., SU-104E
October: Supporting Our Community - THANK YOU, GCC, FOR YOUR GENEROUS DONATIONS!
Donations included winter coats, socks, toiletries, reading glasses, food, paper products and cleaning supplies. Benefits: United Way Project Connect and Justa Center.
Sept. 22, 2015, "An Afternoon Tea with WLG"
Main Campus Student Union, 2-4 p.m.
A special afternoon with notable speakers, tons of free prizes, a fast-paced networking activity, and of course: your choice of a variety of teas and delicious nibbles.
All GCC employees are invited to this free Women's Leadership Group event.
Current WLG members are urged to bring their $15 annual membership dues. New members welcome!
WLG Leadership Conference
June 25, 2015, 10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Open to all MCCCD employees welcome (men and women)
Register online by June 17, 2015.
Cost: $15 (Includes Lunch)
Location: Glendale Community College
6000 W. Olive Ave., Glendale, AZ 85302
Joy Lubeck, “Influencing in the Workplace”
Dee Dee Tapson, “The New Rules of Communication”
Monica Castaneda, “Developing Diplomacy”
2015 GCC’s Women of Distinction Honored
Pictured standing, left to right: Laura Krueger, Mary Blackwell, Kimberly Golis, Angie Wisniewski (Best Supporting Gaucho), Denise Wiseman, Micheile Ujke, Monica Castaneda (Woman of Distinction.)
Sitting: Left to right: Laura Hinau, Marlene Barrera, Marie Chandler.
Congratulations to Mónica Castañeda, the WLG Woman of Distinction, and Angie Wisniewski, WLG's Best Supporting Gaucho and runner up, who were honored April 30 at the 2015 WLG Women of Distinction Awards, hosted by Mesa Community College.
Mónica Castañeda is GCC’s Dean of Student Life. Monica is passionate about the students she serves, as well as the employees she leads. She has extensive experience developing student programming and advocating for underserved student populations such as foster youth, students with disabilities, minority males, single parents, and first generation college students. She is a committed community servant who is an active member of various civic organizations. She serves as a board member on both the ASU Alumni Board of Los Diablos and the Latino Theatre Company Teatro Bravo.
Angie Wisniewski serves as the Coordinator of Student Success Programs. Angie is responsible for the successful implementation of the SSI Mandates for all new-to-college, degree or transfer-seeking students and for the development and implementation of Early Alert at GCC.
Month-Long Bare Necessities Collection Drive, February 2015
To benefit Singleton Moms, a non-profit helping single parents battling cancer by providing “Bare Necessities”. Bare Necessities are toiletries, non-perishable food, paper products, and cleaning supplies. To make a donation, email email@example.com to coordinate a pick-up time.
February 25: WLG Brown Bag Lunch:
“Applying to MCCCD Jobs the Right Way"
Presented by Laura Hinau
Noon -1 p.m., CCS-108
March: Inspirational Woman Display
Photos and quotes of women leaders, past and present are posted in the Student Union glass display cases. A limited number of quote posters are available for free.
Fall 2014 GCC WLG Events
- WLG Membership Drive/Meeting: Sept. 4, 2014, in SU104 ABC. Membership drive 11am-1pm; Meeting 1-2 p.m.
- Brown Bag Lunch, Sept. 16, 2014, Noon-1 p.m., CCS108. Relationship vs Fairy Tales, Lindra Fishleder. Bring your test results from personality type and love languages.
- October 2014 Clothing Drive:Thank you for donating your clean, gently used Men's and Women’s office-wear clothing. Donated clothes will be distributed by local non-profit organizations.
- 2014 WLG Leadership Conference: This year's conference, held Wed., Oct. 29, 2014, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m., was a great success for networking, professional development, and personal growth. This annual conference is open to all MCCCD employees, and the cost for WLG Members was only $18 (Non-members $28.) Join us next year!
- Brown Bag Lunch, Nov. 18, 2014, Noon-1 p.m., CCS108. Overcoming Procrastination. Presenter: Laura Dodrill.
- WLG 'Members Only' Holiday Party! Dec. 11, 2014, 2-4 p.m.
Membership Dues: $15 per year.
Membership is open to all GCC employees (men and women).
How are dues used?
- $6 supports your GCC WLG events.
- $3 to Gina Kranitz Student Scholarship.
- $6 supports District-wide WLG events.
Your GCC WLG Reps work hard to:
- Offer monthly on-campus meetings.
- Offer Learning Opportunities.
- Offer social & networking events.
- Hold membership drives.
- Represent GCC at WLG District meetings.
- Promote District WLG events.