CTC 02/08/05 Meeting MinutesAgenda
Upcoming Ocotillo Events (Gary Marrer)
Friday, February 25th 8:30-3:30 Rio Salado College Conference Center
February 28 - March 4 Entirely Online
March 1 - April 29 Entirely Online
May 17th South Mountain Community College
Hybrid/On-Line Teaching & Learning Report Proposal: Blackboard (Marla DeSoto)
The group discussed the use of Blackboard in addition to Midas on campus. BJ Jacobs gave the Hybrid/Online Teaching & Learning subgroup report in Marla's absence. After some discussion about budget issues, Gary asked the group for a consensus of persons advocating the use of Blackboard. As a result, a formal motion was made. It was noted that the software budget was permanently increased by $15,000; more than enough to handle the yearly renewal for Blackboard at just under $10,000.
The motion to join the Maricopa Alliance and accept Blackboard as another option for course management was approved by the group with the stipulation that the Internet/Hybrid Teaching & Learning committee conduct a yearly usage count and report back to the CTC at the May meeting. Continuation of this motion would be based on the evaluations made at the end of each year.
CTC February Kudos Award
Michelle Shivnani, Director of Computer Labs and Instructional Services, was recognized for her efforts to implement the "One Stop Help" phone line of 53555.
Projectors Subcommittee Update (Gary Calderone)
Gary stated that the next meeting for this subgroup would be the following Tuesday, 2/15 at 3pm. It was reiterated that the group's main purpose is to examine the rising demand and placement of presentation systems (data projectors) in classrooms with respect to related budget issues.
GCC Media Tech Day (Scott Kozakiewicz) Scott continued the projector update by stating that all classroom projectors were secured (in special security cages) before the holiday. He reaffirmed the significance of the subcommittee by giving facts and figures about maintenance costs (of which most costs had already been approved for funding). It was noted that the last maintenance figure was for 29 bulbs at a total cost of about $10, 500. Scott continued to inform the group about a future solution to maintain projectors by using IP network capability to administrate them from one central computer desktop. Once implemented, the maintenance software will greatly reduce the amount of hours that projectors are left on without being used (thereby saving the life of bulbs and other components).
Scott announced the Media Technology Fair event to be held on Thursday, February 17th from 10am 2pm in the SU-Lounge. The event will promote diversity in technology and provide everyone an opportunity to evaluate new devices for teaching & learning. The sponsoring vendor, Troxell Communications, will provide lunch from 11-1pm. For more information, please contact Scott at 53115.
IT Department Communication
Office of Information Technology update was given by KC Hundere. He informed the group of the revisions and renewed enforcement of the college's web page resource standards. It was noted that the standards require any home page on any college server to post specific language, or link to the language, of the college's standard disclaimer (disclaimer.html or legal.html). In addition to the disclaimer, the pages must contain content directly relevant to the business of the college. In the event that a web page's content is deemed non-compliant, the author will have an opportunity to defend the relevancy of the page(s) within the context of college business. KC stated a second time that both GCC Administration and District are very serious about these regulation requirements.
Toni McClory voiced concerns about the copyright language of the standard disclaimer. KC stated that the Web Steering committee should be resurrected soon and language for the disclaimer can be revisited.
KC also reported that last fall the CRC agreed the quad plan was no longer balanced (not taking into account new labs not in the plan and additional equipment added to existing labs). He stated that a list was being compiled of all current labs that are both in and out of the plan to be more inclusive of the new things being added as college lab services (like the Chemistry Laptops for example). He stated that his department will examine how machines are maintained and then draft a plan for the CTC and CRC to revise. KC invited anyone from the group to email him with a nomination for labs/resources to be incorporated into the new plan.
KC reminded the group that at next month's CTC meeting, the Technology Expectations Draft would be revised again (last time was march of 2000). He stated that the group needed to brainstorm to make another road map (list) so the college could successfully allocate bond funds.
KC reported on the Gecko volume moves. There seemed to be an issue with webpage forwarding, but this was under investigation. He stated that the moves were not complete, and the work continues. On the Palette there were issues reported about losing user profiles at login resulting in many people not being able to login. Everyone was assured that the appropriate technical staff were informed and were working on the solutions. For this and other issues, KC will report back at the next meeting.
Deborah Krumtinger reported on the activities of Training & Employee Development. Currently she is working with Frank in the Library on the pods downlink for the Pedagogy conference. Her area continues to deliver MIDAS workshops and the introductory material to SIS.
Sue Murry relayed a "thank you" to everyone for the united efforts to maintain the cleanliness of the classrooms and new carpet. Floor personnel are strictly enforcing the "no food, no drink" regulations in the Pits as well. Now her staff is just working on training people how to use the new sliding doors. In HT2 staff are trying to lock down classrooms that do not have cages for projectors when the rooms are not in use. If a room isnt open, just let a Director or Floor Coordinator know and they will respond right away.
Don Smith facilitated a discussion to encourage CTC representation and involvement across departments and primarily among faculty members. Toni nominated department web facilitators as primary representatives to attend both the CTC and Web Steering groups. It was noted that in order to increase the number of faculty committee assignments to the CTC, the qualifications to make it a committee assignment needed to be examined, such as what will the person be doing or contributing by attending, and what is the exact description of the assignment. Most everyone agreed to add attendance of the CTC to web facilitator responsibilities.
Gary gave a brief update on what was in store for the Web Steering committee next month such as the identification of a committee chair and the additional charge of handling website content complaints and appeals. In any case, a much more active role will be defined.
TOC Gary lead the wireless demonstration. He informed the group that next month's demo would be for Blackboard.
Submitted by Amber Medrano. Revisions, call 53901.