Draft Proposal of CTC Technology Direction StatementCTC Technology Initiatives
"Access Everywhere Technologies"
- The ability to provide the student and staff with GCC network access from any location on campus via a wireless device (i.e. PDA or laptop computer).
- Hard wire network access from all campus classrooms and social areas to GCC computer resources.
- Improved Laptop availability by allowing staff and students to checkout laptops for temporary use.
"State of the Art GCC Infrastructure"
- Presence of high-availability, high-security networking connections that facilitate Internet based high bandwidth learning alternatives.
- A remote connection capability for help desk staff and system support staff to remotely assist in the resolution of the student or staff system problem.
"Commitment to Hybrid and on-line learning Resources"
GCC Campus initiative to determine "best of breed" and most flexible on-line/hybrid course management software alternatives.
- Development of remote networking capability to access on site systems such as the Palette that do not change "look and feel" campus systems (i.e. Citrix).
- Course management software that integrates all communications, discussions, file storage facilities.
"Keeping up with hardware"
- Continued computerization of learning areas with special emphasis on areas and departments which are currently underserved.
- Create funding mechanisms for replacement of critical capital resources such as data show projectors.
- Development of newer technologies like streaming video and audio to present more Internet based learning alternatives.
"Support of I/T"
- An appreciation of the strategic importance of information technology (I/T) from both and administrative and instructional computing standpoint.
- Development of one coordinated strategic plan managing I/T resources (Staff and Technology). „X Creation of professional and financial incentives to prevent I/T staff from leaving GCC.
"Support is key"
- Expanded help desk support systems with 24 X7 support coverage.
- One Help Desk phone number to be used by student and staff to call in any Network Services, Innovation Center, High Tech Center or Maintenance problem.
- One trouble ticket system that supports all Help Desk problem resolution.
"Commitment to Hybrid and on-line learning Staff"
- A Campus wide appreciation of on-line and hybrid learning and its importance to the college's future success.
- Establishment of Coordinators and Instructional Specialists to develop hybrid, distance, on-line and OE courses.
"Training to be the best"
- New training options for staff that include mini workshops, summer sessions and weekend sessions in areas like Midas, Dreamweaver, HTML and web page design.
- An appreciation that adjunct faculty need training options designed for adjunct faculty.
"The best users are trained"
- Provide more training on key student systems such as the Palate and Midas.
- Provide a round-the-clock computer support for distance learners who have problems with GCC Technology.
- Commitment to develop trained Instructional Advisers to understand the systems that are used in the classroom.
- Provide better on-line web-based services for distance learners in the areas of Registration, Advisement, Disability Services and Financial Aid.