Emergency Medical Technology (CCL)
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Emergency Medical Technology program includes techniques of emergency care, stabilization, and immobilization of victims of illness and injury. Recognition and documentation of signs and symptoms of illness and injury, intervention, and evaluation of the intervention, techniques for assessment, administration of oxygen, use of specific immobilization devices, and preparation for transportation are other areas of the program. This program is a prerequisite to other emergency response programs.
This program is not currently eligible for federal financial aid.
You must obtain a "C" grade or better in all courses required within the program.
In order to enroll in EMT104 and EMT104AB you must meet the following prerequisite requirements:
1. Be at least 18 years of age at the time of registration (or have EMT Department approval) AND
2. Have a current Healthcare Provider level CPR card* or enroll in EMT101 section starting prior to the start date for EMT104 class AND
3. Have ONE of the following to demonstrate reading readiness (unofficial copies of ACT, SAT, or PSAT scores accepted):
• Associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution OR
• Test “Exempt” on the ACCUPLACER reading assessment OR
• Minimum score of 21 on ACT English OR
• Minimum score of 530 on SAT Verbal OR
• Minimum SAT critical reading score of 530 OR
• Minimum PSAT critical reading score of 48
If you do not meet these prerequisite requirements, you may request special permission to enroll in the course. To do so, have a current score of the ACCUPLACER reading assessment test on file (ACCUPLACER can be taken at no charge at GCC's Testing Center) and submit completed copy of Advisement packet page 4 to Rainier Perez in the EMT Department. For additional information, email Rainier Perez.
The courses in this program may be applied to a more advanced certificate (CCL) in Paramedicine as well as to an AAS degree in Emergency Responses and Operations - Paramedicine if you are interested in continuing your education.
*List of accepted CPR cards included in the EMT Advisement packet.